Friday, July 11, 2014

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead....

6/9/14

Step by step, day by day….
Sorry this is so late, I know I promised most of you that you’d hear from me. So I have been in country for a week already. 6 days, actually. I’ve noticed that I’m very Mzungu. I am lost and dizzy all the time, as many of you knew I would be. I’m surprised at the curiosity and the outgoingness that many of the Ugandans display.

After 3 full days of travel, we made it to Kulika at about 10 o’clock on June 5th. After we stepped off the plane (feeling a little like the Beatles because in Africa you get on and off the airplane on the tarmat), we went through customs. The customs agent was almost appalled that we all would be staying for 27 months. 40 Muzugus all staying for 27 months must sound pretty absurd. Once we got outside, a crowd of Peace Corps Luganda staff was there to greet us. I felt exhilarated and excited. I could not stop smiling.
Then next few day was spent at Kulika, where we got accustomed to food (you can get Irish potatoes here, I think I’ll be ok), sat through session upon session (the chairs are awful), and got to know each other. Then, on Sunday, we went to Kampala. Holy moly it was nuts. I get lost in Boston and Portland and I’ve been there a hundred times, but the chaos in Kampala is just out of this world. I focused on being very aware of myself (no one wants to get hit by a Matatu or a Boda Boda) and my group as we created quite the stir in the city. This weekend we are being sent into the city without a guide, which I’m very excited for. I learn much better if I have to find my way myself.
We’ve all been stressing about our site placement as well. We all had two interviews, one with the Health Team and one with the Country Director (all truly strong, lovely women role models). The process is called an advertise and bid system, which is pretty cool. It gives you a chance to plead your case, which most countries don’t get, so that’s nice. However, the stress of not getting a site you’ve fallen in love with is just gross. And the health sector has so many sites and so many possibilities. I’m hoping for a site that deals directly with women and OVC’s (orphaned and vulnerable children).
3 Fears I have: Will I make friends in country and in Peace Corps? Will I be effective at my site? Will I love my site?
3 Joys: Surrounded by good people doing good work. There are Irish potatoes. Independence!


No comments:

Post a Comment